Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Introduction to An Inconvenient Hugh

Welcome to my first blog.

You could say this blog started in November 1992.

You may recall it was an election year and two people full of hope and optimism had just won the election.

I personally was very excited with the prospect of an Al Gore in The White House.

You see I had this crazy idea.

Why not start an ad agency that specializes in environmental issues!!?? Here I was, an art director in a dead end job working on pet food and cereal accounts. I felt there must be more to life than this.

I loved both advertising and environmental issues – so why not? I had also read Al Gore’s Earth In the Balance and became a Gore fan. Here was a guy talking about global warming, biodiversity, alternative energy like solar, wind, hybrids – he was so ahead of his time – in fact, at the time President Bush kept referring him to Mr Ozone.

Well Clinton and Mr. Ozone won!

And shortly after, Green Team was born!

Well, here we are today – Green Team is still here (and doing pretty well, thank you very much) and Al Gore has been reborn as the avid and true environmentalist that he always was.

Some of you may have seen An Inconvenient Truth (if you haven’t, shame on you – go see it) – but it basically is a PowerPoint presentation that Al Gore has been giving for over 14 years.

Of course, he has been updating it with what has been happening recently – read Tsunami, Katrina among other things.

But the basic argument is there. There is something called Climate Change and Global Warming and it is REAL. And we’ve got to do something about it, before it’s too late. And NO, (as both Bushes would have you believe it’s NOT a choice between the economy and the environment. In fact, if America tackled these issues head on, we would be at the forefront of new, cutting edge technology that would not ONLY help SAVE the planet, but benefit business and people at the same time.

Big Business is aware of it. Unfortunately, with the exception of a few American companies (GE, Dupont, etc.), it’s the Japanese like Honda and Toyota that are seeing the light…

But let’s get back to why I am writing this blog

After the release of An Inconvenient Truth earlier this year and it’s incredible success, Al Gore started a mission called The Climate Project. And he issued a call for 1000 volunteers or messengers to help spread the word on global warming

One thousand volunteers to give the same presentation to as many people as possible.

I answered the call!

I guess you can call me one of Gore’s disciples or messengers!

You see, 14 years ago Al Gore inspired me to open Green Team – I figured I owe the man something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home